Getting in shape and building muscle requires more than just going to the gym and randomly using equipment. To see real results, you need to perform the most effective exercises that target different muscle groups in your body. In this article, trainer Kirill Yurovskiy shared the best exercises for working out your upper body, torso, legs and full body.
Upper Body Exercises
Developing strong arms, shoulders, back, and chest muscles leads to better posture, injury prevention, and an athletic physique. Here are the top upper body moves.
The push-up is a classic upper body exercise that works the chest, shoulders, and triceps. To get the most benefit:
– Keep your body in a straight line from head to toes
– Lower your chest to the ground then push back up
– Use variations like wide grip, triangle, or diamond push-ups
Adding push-ups to your routine burns calories, builds strength, and adds definition to your upper body.
Pull-ups are an intense move that engages your back, biceps, and shoulder muscles. Grip an overhead bar with hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, palms facing away. Then:
– Hang from the bar with arms fully extended
– Pull your body up until your chin passes the bar
– Lower back down with control
If you cannot do a regular pull-up yet, use resistance bands or start with lat pull downs. Pull-ups build a V-shaped torso and strong upper body.
The shoulder press works your deltoids and triceps using dumbbells or a barbell. Technique is essential:
– Hold weights at shoulder height, palms facing out
– Push weights straight up above your head, don’t arch back
– Slowly lower back to start
This exercise stabilizes the shoulder joint, tones your arms, and carves definition around your delts.
Carving 6-pack abs and a strong midsection for sports, health, and posture requires focused core training. These moves deliver results.
The plank fires up multiple muscle groups by holding your body stiff like a wooden plank. Steps:
– Get in push-up position, resting on forearms or hands
– Keep your back flat, don’t sag or arch
– Hold position for 20-60 seconds
Planks build deep abdominal strength and endurance for better functionality.
When you think of “abs”, you probably think of crunches. Effective technique includes:
– Lie on ground, knees bent, hands lightly behind head
– Lift shoulder blades a few inches off the floor
– Don’t pull on your neck, keep chin up
– Lower back down with control
Aim for 3 sets of 12-15 reps to feel your midsection burn!
The Russian twist targets your obliques on the sides of your torso for that etched look:
– Sit on floor, knees bent, lean back at 45 degree angle
– Interlace hands in front of chest, turn to 1 side
– Twist across body to other side
– Stabilize your legs & hips as you rotate
Do 2-3 sets of 10-15 twists per side. Twist away those love handles!
Prevent knee/back injuries, accelerate fat loss, and perform better in sports with strong legs. Give these your all.
The king of all exercises, squats engage your quads, glutes, hamstrings and core. How to:
– Stand with feet shoulder width, hold weight on upper back
– Push hips back, bend knees to lower body
– Descend until knees are bent at least 90 degrees
– Press through heels back to start position
Aim for 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Squats build lower body power and get your heart pumping!
Lunges work your quads, glutes, hamstrings and calves by isolated stepping and bending. Steps:
– Stand upright, core braced, hold dumbbells at sides
– Step forward with right leg, lower until knee almost touches
– Push back up into standing and repeat on other side
Shoot for 3 sets of 10-12 reps per leg. Feel the burn!
This full body move targets the posterior chain of muscles for injury resilience and strength. Proper form is crucial:
– Approach loaded barbell with athletic stance
– Bend knees & hips to grab bar with overhand grip just outside legs
– Flatten back, engage core then drive through heels to stand
– Slowly lower weight back to floor with control
Work up to 3-4 sets of 5 reps for gains!
Full Body Exercises
Combining upper and lower body muscles in one move torches fat and takes your fitness to new levels. Go hard!
A total body explosion – burpees get your heart and muscles fired up fast. Flow through these:
– Stand tall then squat down placing hands on floor
– Kick feet back into plank position
– Do a push up then jump feet back in toward chest
– Explode up with arms overhead
Burpees build cardio, strength and muscular endurance. Aim for 3 hardcore sets!
These simulated mountain climbing exercises shred body fat and define physique.
– Get into a push-up plank position
– Keeping core stiff, pull right knee to chest
– Return to plank then repeat with left knee
– Increase speed for 20-30 seconds
Do 3 sets with 30 seconds per round – brutal!
This explosive move combines strength, power and cardio benefits.
– Place kettlebell a foot in front of you, squat and grab handle
– Brace core, hike KB between legs then thrust hips forward
– Drive KB to chest height as you stand up tall
– Swing MB between legs again with control
Build full body power with 2-3 sets of 10 reps. Let that bell fly!
Working different muscle groups allows you to precisely target areas, enhance athleticism, torch fat and sculpt your physique. Combine upper body, core and leg training with intense full body moves like burpees or kettlebell swings at least 2-3 days per week. Push yourself hard doing 8-15 quality repetitions for 2-4 sets per exercise. Eat clean and rest properly for maximum gains. Now put this workout guide to action – your best body awaits!